Monday, February 1, 2010

Who knew Caveman didn't eat corn??

Not me! I planned to make boiled shrimp with a recipe I found for corn chowder tonight. Then today I read that corn was one of the "foods to avoid" so I found a way to modify the chowder to make it both corn and dairy free. The mashed cauliflower from last night added a creamy base so we didn't really miss the dairy at all. It turned out delicious! It was a great compliment to the shrimp which I boiled in a few cans of cheap beer and some salt free Cajun seasoning.

"Creamy" Vegetable Chowder

3 celery stalks chopped
3 large carrots chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
2T almond flour
2 c mashed cauliflower
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1/2 t dried Italian seasoning
1/2 t ground red pepper

Saute celery, carrots, onion and jalapenos in a dutch oven until tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add flower and stir constantly for one minute. Add cauliflower, chicken broth and spices and simmer for 5 minutes or until ready to eat.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds delightful! This is a recipe I will have to make!

Fragile X said...

the things you do for that kid... who was doing so well with his Paleo-Cola this morning...